NTS (National Traffic management System) is Trafikverket’s advanced traffic management and control system in Sweden, developed to increase efficiency and support the operational work in the four Traffic Control Centres (TCCs).
Nicander was contracted to upgrade, update and support NTS in 2009 and is responsible for the design, development, testing, installation and commissioning of the systems. NTS integrates information from connected subsystems and other systems into a uniform operator interface, delivering sophisticated and ‘expert’ incident decision support, action planning and intelligent operation to minimise the impact of events and optimise network performance.
NTS consists of a number of computer management systems, configured to work with the infrastructure used at that centre, including: Video Walls, Telephony, Email, SMS, Fax and interfaces to many external systems (sub-systems) which are used to communicate with and control the on-street infrastructure, running in a central VMWare virtual environment and connected to local operator workstations at each TCC.
- Giving Operators a system with seamless decision support so they can work more efficiently and respond faster to incidents on the roads, increasing safety and network efficiency – e.g. in response to a vehicle fire in a tunnel, operators were able to close the tunnel in under 2 minutes, issuing 280 commands to 11 different subsystems controlling tunnel systems locally, advising the emergency services and also controlling and informing traffic using the wider regional network through VMS, motorway control systems and a multitude of smart media services.
- The Operator is more easily able to collate all relevant information into a single view of the problem then control and disseminate information through multiple channels at the click of a button.
- ‘Uncluttered and clear’ workspace for Operators allows more focused incident handling and improved Operator cooperation when dealing with major incidents, with everything at their fingertips; removal of time and space-consuming paper-based procedures.
- NTS delivers information to travellers helping them plan and adjust their journeys in real time to make informed choices through dissemination of information through: client websites receiving over 10 million hits a year; smart phone apps and general phone/fax/text services to 1 million travellers and Operators, to 1 million car drivers with RDS TMC facilities; and, via national and local radio and TV (text and news) channels to over 7 million listeners and viewers every day.
The system supports the ability to configure different operator roles and also enables configuration of different levels of access to the system functionality. The aim is to have an optimised national platform for all ITS functionality throughout Sweden for urban and rural transport needs. The following functionality, amongst others, is available to operational staff.
- Presentation of the traffic situation and location positioning through GIS (Maps)
- System and process presentation of connected systems
- Alarm and event handling (including suppression capabilities)
- Logging and statistics handling
- Co-operating management (co-ordination with police, rescue service etc.)
- Report handling
- Action plans (decision support)
- Computerised telephony (CTI)
- Integration and control of video wall functions
- CCTV control
- Functionality for planning maintenance
- The ability to log in to a local NTS or a remote one (allows control of a remote Traffic Control Centre when required)
- The ability to see the state of the road network and ongoing events across the whole Country
Each Traffic Control Centre can have up to 3 complementary systems in addition to the operational one. This allows operators and system administrators to carry out training, testing of new functionality and the development of new system data.
NTS WINS AWARD
The Swedish Transport Administration's application to the 2013 International Road Federation (IRF) Global Road Achievement Awards (GRAA) and entitled, 'National Traffic Management System' was selected as the winner in the 'Traffic Management and Intelligent Transportation Systems' category.
To see a short video about the award and about NTS click here.
NTS already has interfaces to more than 60 subsystems and new ones are being developed and integrated into NTS on an ongoing basis. Some examples of subsystems currently integrated into NTS are:
- Local Control Systems - These are mainly SCADA systems that control tunnel installations. A local control system for a major tunnel such as Södra Länken, includes control and supervision of equipment such as: Tunnel Lane Signs, Barriers, Cameras, Emergency Telephones, Motorway Control Signs, Variable Message Signs, Electronic Message Signs, Ventilation Systems, Air Quality Control, Waste Water Treatment, Power Systems, Combustion Doors, Emergency Buttons, Tunnel and Emergency Lighting, Sprinklers, Fire Alarms, Fire Detectors and Fire Extinguishers
- MCS (Motorway Control System) - A system which controls matrix signs on Motorways
- OTS (Overall Traffic Signal System) - A system which controls traffic lights
- TSS (Stockholm Congestion Charging System) - NTS receives status updates and alarms from congestion charging stations. It also informs NTS of the vehicle counts and average speeds
- CCTV (Video System) - The NTS allows the operators to control the CCTV cameras
- VMS (Variable Message Signs) - Displays information messages to drivers
- TUS (Tidal Flow System) - Used to control traffic direction on a 3 lane road in and out of Stockholm
- BRÖS (Movable Bridge Control) - Used for raising and lowering of bridges
- TASS (Road Assistance Vehicles) - Allows operators to direct vehicles to incidents and receive GPS information on current vehicle locations
- VVIS (Road Weather Information System) - Data is received from Trafikverket's nationwide network of weather stations
To see Trafikverket’s video about Traffic Management in Sweden click here.